How Rental Agents can assist those fleeing domestic violence.
Each May, Queensland marks Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Month. This year’s theme is ‘We all play a part in domestic and family violence prevention’.
As managing agents, our role can be vital in assisting DFV victims to flee a violent situation and move into safe housing.
The process of finding, applying, and being approved for a rental property can be daunting at the best of times – so for someone fleeing domestic violence, it can seem an insurmountable obstacle.
At Solutions Property Management, we have tried to make the process quicker and safer where possible, while still ensuring we complete our due diligence on behalf of our owner clients.
We hope the following processes can assist those escaping domestic violence and needing to secure a safe rental home:
Searching for a rental property
- ‘Fast Exit’ Safety Function on Website – All our available properties can be viewed on our website ‘Properties for Rent’ page which includes a safety ‘Fast Exit’ button that exits the page and clears it from your browsing history.
- Easy Online Searching – Clear photos and detailed description of each property on our rental list means that you can easily shortlist your preferences and not waste time enquiring about unsuitable properties.
- Inspection not necessary – While it is preferable for applicants to inspect the property before applying, this is not required. Those fleeing domestic violence may not have time to visit properties or may be restricted by a controlling partner. Just fill out an application form advising that you are happy to take the property without viewing it – saving you precious time and resources.
- Submit application first – Alternatively, you can submit an application to be short-listed before inspecting the property, saving you having to visit many properties unnecessarily.
- Private viewings – If you require a private viewing for safety reasons, contact our office and we will try to accommodate you.
Applying for a property
- Mobile friendly application – ezyAPP, our online application form, can be filled out and submitted on any device including mobile phones if it is not safe to use a shared computer.
- Safe paper option– If you do not have access to a private email account, or otherwise unable to fill out an online application, you can fill out a paper application.
- Quick processing – We aim to process applications within 48 hours, and you can apply for up to three properties at once, saving precious time.
- Personal data safety – We regard all information on applications with the utmost security. Because ezyAPP is our own in-house program, your data is kept safe within our system and not passed onto any third parties. All information and documentation from declined applications are deleted after two months.
For those needing a ‘safe room’ to look online for properties or fill out an application form, please contact us to arrange a private appointment at one of our offices. You will have access to a private room with a phone and computer, and we can print or copy your documentation free of charge.
We are here to help
Our team members are trained to watch for signs of domestic abuse such as controlling behaviour and financial abuse – sadly, a few of our staff even have first-hand experience. While you may think that you are alone, reaching out will show you that there are many people who want to help you.
We understand that the current shortage of available rental properties is tough for many tenants, and in many cases we may not have a suitable property for you.
However, if we can assist in any way to ease the process of finding safe secure housing, which is every person’s right, we are here and ready to help.
If you are looking for information on DFV in Tenancies – rights and responsibilities of owners, tenants, and agents – click on the LINK to our DFV webpage.